In January of 2018, First PREMIER owner and philanthropist, T. Denny Sanford announced a $30 million endowment to the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, Inc., a non-profit educational organization dedicated to helping individuals pursue dreams through higher education.
- This transformative gift was the single largest donation ever received by the Association, since its inception in 1947.
- Through this endowment, the Horatio Alger – Denny Sanford Scholarship program was established.
- The program will provide $3 million per year in scholarships over 10 years for Horatio Algers scholars choosing to attend any of 12 qualifying universities.
Receiving up to $250,000 in scholarship funds per year from the Horatio Alger-Denny Sanford Scholarship Program are:
- University of South Dakota (Vermillion, SD)
- South Dakota State University (Brookings, SD)
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
- University of California San Diego (La Jolla, CA)
- National University (San Diego, CA)
- Long Island University (Brookville, NY)
- Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ)
Receiving up to $150,000 in scholarship funds per year from the Horatio Alger-Denny Sanford Scholarship Program are:
- Augustana University (Sioux Falls, SD)
- University of Sioux Falls (Sioux Falls, SD)
- Dakota State University (Madison, SD)
- South Dakota School of Mines (Rapid City, SD)
- Black Hills State University (Spearfish, SD)
To apply, speak to your university counselor.