Identity theft occurs when someone wrongfully uses another person's personal information such as social security number, date of birth, name or address for their personal gain.
How to Prevent Identity Theft
Safeguard your personal information:
- Never carry around your social security card. Only give out the number when absolutely necessary.
- Keep your bank statements and credit card numbers in a secure place.
- Shred financial documents and papers with personal information before discarding them.
- Never provide your personal information unless you are working with a reliable source.
- Be cautious of e-mail phishing scams where criminals attempt to trick you into revealing your personal information.
- Use firewalls and anti-virus software to protect your computers.
- Order your FREE credit report annually by going to